You are hereBack to top
Moon USA National Parks: The Complete Guide to All 63 Parks (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
They've been dubbed America's best idea for a reason: get inspired, get outdoors, and discover the wild beauty of the United States with Moon USA National Parks. Inside you'll find:
- Coverage of all 63 national parks, from the misty mountains of the east and the redwoods of the west to the glaciers of Alaska and volcanoes of Hawaii, organized by region
- Strategic lists and itineraries: Choose from lists of the best parks for hiking, wildlife, families, and scenic drives or make your way down the list of the top ten national parks experiences across the country
- The best outdoor adventures in every park, including backpacking, biking, climbing, kayaking, rafting, and more, plus detailed hike descriptions and trail maps marked with distance, duration, effort level, and trailheads
- National parks road trips with driving times and advice for linking multiple parks, interesting stops between them, and nearby attractions and state parks
- Comprehensive planning resources: With maps and transportation tips, you'll have the tools to explore each park or region individually, or visit multiple for an epic national parks trip
- Expert advice from former park guide Becky Lomax on how to avoid crowds, what time of year to visit, and where to stay inside and outside the parks, from campgrounds to hotels
- Know before you go: Find essential background on climate, terrain, wildlife, history, and safety precautions, plus practical information on park fees, passes, and reservations, including how to obtain and use a National Parks Pass
- Gorgeous, full-color photos throughout, plus a handy keepsake section for your national parks stamps and a detachable fold-out poster map
For more in-depth information on a specific park, check out one of Moon's national parks travel guides.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Becky Lomax grew up hiking, camping, and skiing in Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, and Mt. Rainier National Park (where her dad used to serve as a ranger).
During college, she worked summers in Glacier National Park. After teaching high school English for many years outside Seattle, she and her husband moved to Montana, where she served as a hiking and backpacking guide in Glacier, worked at a ski resort, and began to write about the outdoors. She relishes visiting national parks to hike, bike, backpack, kayak, and raft.
Through her writing, she advocates for conserving wild places for their unique attributes and the renewal they bring to humans. She has written about hiking trails, historic lodges and roads, camping, paddling, skiing, bicycling, wildlife, wildflowers, birds, and climate change. For magazine stories, she has tagged along with biologists into the field to radio collar bighorn sheep and grizzly bears, even touching the bear's claws and smelling its fur to discover its earthy scent.
She has published stories in several national travel magazines including Smithsonian and Backpacker. She also authored Moon Glacier National Park and Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton.
"It’s in author Becky Lomax’s DNA to have written such a comprehensive book about our country’s national parks. In 1902, her great-grandparents visited Yellowstone on their honeymoon (riding a carriage!) and her father was a National Park Ranger in Washington state. Consequently, Lomax grew up exploring and becoming an expert in her natural backyard habitat. As a nationally published magazine writer, Lomax has gone one step further in compiling this comprehensive guidebook for adventurers and armchair readers alike…Each park is detailed in great depth including visitors’ centers, best places to take photos, history of the park, wildlife species, activities, camping, full-color maps and really, too much to outline here. Let’s just say Lomax deserves my vote for an “Outdoors Pulitzer” for this comprehensive guidebook on our national parks."—Carolyn Price, OutdoorsNW
"Moon has captured each park so beautifully that it’ll make you want to break out the calendar and plan out all your trips at once. Not only that, but they also simplify the planning process for you by giving you all the information you need.”—The Intrepid Guide
"There’s nothing wrong with being old-fashioned and buying a physical book for your adventure. There are plenty of options, including this one that highlights all  national parks. With need-to-know information, helpful advice and actionable itineraries, you’ll find hidden gems and tips for exploring."—CNN Underscored
"As far as national park travel guides go, none are as comprehensive as this one. The author, Becky Lomax, has spent her life in the parks. She’s an authority on national parks travel, which is evident in this superb guidebook. It’s the book I base all my own trips on."—The National Parks Experience
"Moon is one of the biggest travel guide companies out there, publishing guides on everything from New York City to America’s National Parks...If you’re looking for a popular, informative guidebook, this is the one for you."—Julia Jennings, Well Planned Journey
"The definitive new guide, Moon USA National Parks by long-time National Park advocate and former guide Becky Lomax, comes highly recommended…The guide is organized well and very reader-friendly. No matter what type of adventure you are seeking, the guide is sure to have something for you. Whether you are seeking safe encounters with wildlife, peaceful solitude, winter activities or all those can’t miss locations for the perfect selfie opportunity, the guide has it."—Camping for Women
"This thorough book is a perfect companion as you plan National Park vacations. The stunning images will excite the adventurer in you, and the useful tips, along with the ‘must do' activities and attractions, are a perfect beginning point to work from as you plan your National Park travels."—Camping Tips for Everyone
"Sometimes you get a book and think, "Where has this been all my life?" On a recent snowy afternoon that practically required some summer dreaming and scheming, that book for me was Moon USA National Parks.”—Kristen Inbody, Great Falls Tribune
"An entertaining guide, whether you’re planning an actual trip or just want to do a little exploring from the comfort of your favorite reading chair. [Author Becky Lomax] highlights each park with hiking suggestions, tips on what to see, logistical information and more."—Washington Trails Association
"Not only does it have pretty pictures, but it is filled with practical planning tips and expert advice."—Find the Pearls Travel